Friday, July 3, 2009

Help me!

I have these song lyrics bouncing around my mind:
caught somewhere between the earth and the sky
Does anyone know from which song that line comes? I tried google, no luck. It might just drive me crazy. Or I might just forget about it.

Anyway, the first half of the week I went camping down the Cape with my immediate family, two cousins, one cousin's daughter, one cousin's husband, and one aunt. It rained pretty much every day and we almost couldn't leave my parents' house because the bottom of their car was dragging.

There was a lot of stuff in the car. Also, Em had flu Type A
(whatever that means) and was quarantined. She had to wear
a face mask in the car and sleep in her own tent. Poor pup!

She was feeling better by the second or third day though.

But finally, finally we got there and set up camp. It was fortunately not raining at that point. Of course it ended up being fun, despite the minor disasters and crying/fighting and rain. I played some more mandolin (I'm getting tons better) and had several good and constructive conversations with assorted family members.

When it wasn't raining, it was misting. Or foggy. There were a
few hours of direct sunlight too.



Campfire fun.

My little* brother and I dug an extensive network of trenches throughout the campsite to channel rainwater away from the tents. This probably makes me lame or a nerd or awesome, but that may have been my favorite part of the whole trip. I felt so purposeful and happy, just digging and digging there with the little trowel, redirecting the water away from the beds of my dear family members following simple universal laws. So, all in all, I say 8.5 out of 10 for family campout this year.

An extensive network of trenches (it was not raining at
the time of this photo, so you cannot see it in action)...




Now this evening I am off to pupwood to visit Julia.

Happy Independence Day! I sort of want to watch that Will Smith movie now for some reason...


*My six-foot tall, going to COLLEGE this fall, little brother...

5 comments:

Bbear said...

"I felt so purposeful and happy, just digging and digging there with the little trowel, redirecting the water away from the beds of my dear family members following simple universal laws."

This is what really makes you a nerdsor.

Katya said...

Luba - Between the Earth and the Sky

Katie said...

OH! It was actually this one, from Empire Records:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HwW-BjipwY

Unknown said...

I like that it was from the movie it was from. especially as I just watched it again the other week for the umpeenth time with my friend jess. it was my fave movie in high school.

Katie said...

Do you have that movie?