Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The Sweetest Birthday Wishes, from My Mom...

Got this email in my inbox when I returned from my NH weekend. I think it might be the best happy birthday I got this year.
Hey Hi Birthday Girl!

Hope you're having a wonderful day snowshoeing around - we even got the snow that I special ordered JUST FOR YOU...

Getting out this AM put me in mind of the Saturday morning you were born - it was sooooooo cold that AM that by the time we got Kevin into & out of the car to the Guggios house [and we only had to take him at W______ Rd] and then on to Beth Israel hospital, my labor stopped - and it had been going strong for several hours. Fortunately when I 'thawed out' things kicked back into high gear and we had you .. ta-da here she is! I am so glad that we did; you have truly been a joy to me. I love your spirit and quirky-ness and joie de vivre and kind & generous & loving nature and exceptional, inquisitive mind and your creativity ...and so much more! I love you more than words can say. Happy Birthday, Katie. 

It really means something, coming from the person who has known you since you were born. Who actually made that happen (your birth). Who wiped your little butt and your snotty little nose and held your hair back while you barfed into the toilet and put up with you when you were acting like a little shit... who watched you grow through that super awkward phase (which you may or may not still be in), who loved you through it all and will continue to love you through it all.

Thanks Mom!

4 comments:

Bbear said...

I LOVE THIS EMAIL. AND THIS POST.

Katie said...

Yeah me too, Beebs. Me too.

Anonymous said...

oh man that is the best thing ever. i cried getting a hallmark card that my mom just signed, just knowing that she read the message and thought, that's the one! and bought it. something about moms...

and also, all those things your mom said, i love all those things too, pup. happy birthday to my covenant sister. i love you always. xoxojujupup

Unknown said...

that is very sweet, and while I have not wiped boogers for you, or known you since the day you were born, I have made food for you/with you, and have liked you since the day we first went to the ocean together.