Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thanksgiving is Coming

My coworker has been counting down the days for about a month. It is really his number one holiday of the year. It is actually pretty funny how enthusiastic he is.

I just found out more people are coming for Thanksgiving. We are up to about 20. Yay.

The past few years we have been teaming up with our neighbors, who are 1) really awesome 2) Indian, so they make really really good food, and 3) vegetarians, so I have some sympathizers. Last year they hosted the feast in their home and we had no turkey as the main dish. Needless to say, I was thrilled. We have that 1950s-style tradition where we go around the table and each say what we are thankful for. Last year, the mother of the neighbors' family said that she was grateful that no living creature had to die for the meal. My mom likes the turkey tradition but I suspect she was secretly grateful NOT to have to prepare the de-feathered beast. So no turkey this year either. Wooo!

So we currently have
Eight of us in my family
Four in the neighbors' family
One German exchange student
One coworker from Beth's lab
About six bonus mystery people
My brother and two of my sisters and I are also planning on seeing the film, Milk, while everyone is in town, which looks to be pretty inspirational.

This year I am most grateful for people who truly love me, not just like. Like can make you feel pleasant, but love is what helps you through, takes the time. That is something special, and rarer than it seems.

Thank you friends and family who teach me about real love, who care.

1 comment:

Bbear said...

You have a sympathizer in me, betch!