Tuesday, August 11, 2009

I Bought Lots of Vegetables

Tonight, I made some kale/red cabbage stir fry and ate SO MUCH of it. I am imagining this food is so powerfully good for you... probably because I think I read somewhere that brilliantly-colored food has tons of vitamins or something. Plus, somehow it just FEELS good to eat... like my cells and blood vessels are saying THANK YOU, THANK YOU, KATIE.

Or maybe I just love vegetables?

Here's what I did, in case you want to try to make it yourself (super easy):
  1. Cut up the onion into little pieces, cut the red cabbage into slightly bigger pieces, and rip the kale into like medium-sized (?) pieces - maybe like 1/4 to 1/3 the size of your palm...?
  2. Cook the onions about halfway in some canola oil.
  3. Add the cabbage and a sprinkle of red pepper flakes, and cook until the onions are done.
  4. Add the kale and soy sauce and a little bit of water. It is ready when the kale turns a deep green color and is a TINY bit withered. You'll probably have to stir it to get to that point, because otherwise the kale stays on the top and doesn't really cook. This part will happen pretty quick.

You could also do it without the red cabbage. I just had it, so why not use it?

Also, don't overcook either the cabbage or the kale, because it won't be as good. You'll want it to be a little bit crispy.

I used 1 large onion, 1 bunch of kale, and 1/2 head of cabbage. I probably could have stood to use about twice as much kale, because it was a small bunch, and because it cooks down significantly. When you add the kale, it will look like too much, but just add it anyway, and there's a good chance it might not even be enough.

That is all.

3 comments:

kaci + tom said...

this is really happy. can i have kale stirfry with you sometime?

<3

<3

kaci + tom said...

also, i just wish that i always felt like eating this. sometimes i do, and i think "oh you will always eat things this good and powerful!" but then the next day or week i end up eating crappy takeout and bags of tortilla chips...or something like that.

maybe we should take the pride cycle concept and turn it into a kale cycle concept...

Katie said...

Kaci - I am also prone to doing this.

Yet another reason we need a commune. I don't know why I just wrote that, but for some reason, it seemed like it would be a good solution. Possibly because communes ALWAYS seem like the solution to everything in my book.

No, but seriously, we'd be farming and growing everything fresh, so processed food wouldn't even be AVAILABLE to us. SEE?