Set oven to 350 degrees.
Mix the following ingredients in a large bowl:
- Stick of butter, melted
- 1 c cornmeal
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 c buttermilk (we used 2 c regular milk + some lemon juice)
- finely-chopped veggies, just whatever there was, which happened to be approximately:
- 1/2 red pepper
- small red onion
- 3/4 c black beans, drained
- 1/2 c corn, drained
- 1 t baking soda
- 1/2 t salt
- black pepper
- some Boursin cheese, about 1/2 package
Pour into buttered skillets or baking pans (we used two large cast-iron skillets), but two 9" rounds would probably work as well.
- small can mild green chilies, drained
- 1 c shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
Bake for 45 min or until egg is set and cheese is golden brown.