Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Anatomy Day 1

Well, I did it. Attended class: both lecture and lab.

I can tell it is going to be a lot of work, but I think it will be doable. I am actually pretty nervous how it will be for me dissecting the real animal tissue. Today in lab we just looked at plastic models of human organ systems and also some microscope slides of different types of tissue (histology). But sooner or later we will be cutting up whole - and portions - of cats, sheep, pig, etc. Well the lecture professor said at least one thing that reassured me, the animals didn't die so that we would have something to dissect. They were either from shelters (sad) or had to be put down for other reasons.

Anyway though. On a less sad-animal note, here's something cool I learned today. In terms of comparative anatomy, guess what corresponds with our ear canal, in fish.

It is actually the gills. Can you believe that? I cannot. I mean, I can actually, and it's kind of fascinating.

I had an lunch and an interesting conversation with a little 19-year-old college sophomore who's also taking the class and who has her head on surprisingly straight for someone of that age. I was impressed. It is interesting looking back at myself almost ten years ago. I'm not sure I would have had it so together back then. I think I told her as much. She was also heartened upon hearing that I am in the process of making so drastic (somewhat, not super drastic) of a career change, that she didn't have to know exactly what she wanted to do for the rest of her life.

It's ok little one, life's gonna throw in turns and kinks into whatever you plan anyway.

(last sentence as much for me as for her of course :) )

No comments: